Christmas tips dog kennels ChesterfieldThere are many exciting things around at Christmas, especially for your dog! New smells, some great treats, which, of course, are all for them, and lots and lots of visitors.

So, while your little one is enjoying his or her Christmas, remember to make the environment as safe as possible for them.

Here’s our handy tips for dog proofing your festive period and things you should look out for…

1. Antifreeze

Antifreeze can be very harmful for your dog if ingested. Amazingly, it tastes good to your pet, so they will try and eat it. So, always keep the antifreeze out of the way and, if there’s a spill, get it wiped up as quickly as possible.

2. Grit & Salt

Grit and salt on your dog’s paws can make them become sore, so it’s best to wash it off as soon as you get in from your walk. It can also make them poorly if they lick it off, so the sooner you wash their paws, the better.

3. Snow and Ice

These hazards are the same as they are for humans. Dogs can slip on the ice and injure theirselves, or fall through ice on a lake or pond if it’s too thin. Eating snow can also cause problems for dogs. It can lead to stomach upsets and, if enough is consumed, hypothermia.

4. Chocolate

There’s so much chocolate around at Christmas and it’s tempting for your dog, but chocolate is poisonous for dogs, so it needs to be kept away from them. Signs of chocolate poisoning include sickness, diarrhoea, restlessness, frequent urination, but if they eat a large quantity, then the symptoms and consequences become considerably more severe. If you dog does eat chocolate this Christmas, the best thing to do is get them straight to the vets.

5. Other Festive Foods

As well as chocolate, macademia nuts, raising, grapes, onions, sultanas and alcohol should all be kept out of reach of your dog. These items are all in abundance at this time of year and are all poinsonous to animals.

6. Christmas Decorations

There are various problems that can occur with Christmas decorations and an inquisitive dog. In general, here are a few things you can do:

  1. If you have an open fire, ensure the fire guard is in front of it
  2. If you have lots of guests round, make sure your dog has a quiet place with a bed in that they can retreat to if it all becomes too much for them
  3. Clean up fallen Christmas tree needles regularly so that they don’t get stuck in your dog’s paws. Also, if chewed, the pine needles could cause a stomach upset.
  4. Make sure baubles, tinsel and gift wrap are out of the way as, if ingested, these can cause intestinal issues.
  5. Keep Christmas lights out of the reach of pets who have a tendency to chew. Obviously it would result in a nasty shock if they were to chew through the cables.

7. Festive Plants

There are various festive plants that can be dangerous to your pets. If small amounts are ingested, these can cause a stomach upset, but larger amounts can have very severe consequences.  You should keep things like holly and mistletoe out of the reach of your dog.

Signs of poisoning include excessive drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea. If your pet has any of these symptoms, or you see them eating these plants, you should visit your vet immediately.

So, now we’ve given you a few things to look out for, hopefully you and your family (and your pooch) can enjoy a fantastic festive period!

 

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas from all of us at Dunston Lodge

 

Please follow and like us:
Share This